TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081864927

From: "Jim Byram" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Layouts was [Proper use of more pixels]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:02:07 -0400

bob gillis wrote:

> I agree that the default layout in Ver 5 is much too busy.

The default (aka 'standard') layout only has 3 windows, 3 toolbars and the
status bar. Too busy? ??? I guess that it should have the Details window,
the standard toolbar and no status bar? <g>

> In a future version there
> should be an easily accessed set of layouts that a new user can look at.

That's a good idea but it would be difficult to accomodate the plethora of
user display properties. An on-line tutorial and on-line layout files for
download accompanying the tutorial might work better.

> Unfortunately creating a new report or filter or layout requires using
> what I dub "Reverse Polish Notation". The user has to make a new file,
> give it a name, then select the criteria and save.

That's sort of true of reports. However, you can open any report
configuration, set the properties as you wish, add the new configuration
name and then save.

For filters, you set up the name and properties at the same time, then save.

For layouts, that's not the case at all. You make appropriate changes in
Preferences such as enabling columns, make changes on the Person View and,
last, open the Layout Manager, enter a layout name and save the new layout.

Jim

This thread: