TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081953740

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] A couple of newbie questions
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:42:20 -0400

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:52:45 -0500, Nikki Heffner wrote:

> 1. (Just for comparison purposes, and to show you what I
> want to do...) In Legacy, I could click on a source in
> the master source list and do a "show list" and it would
> show me all the people that were assigned to that source.
> How do I go about doing this in TMG5 Gold? Please don't
> tell me it's real complicated! I

You can't just click like you describe for Legacy, but you can create
a report to do it, and if you expect to often, you can put that report
on the toolbar for one-button access.

But first one point. In TMG at least, sources are attached to events,
not to people. So what you will get are a list of events (tags) where
the source is cited. That list will include the names of the persons
included in the tag. So I think it gets what you want.

Here's how to do it:

1. Use the List of Citations Report. (Report > List of... > Citations
on the main menu.)

2. On the Report Definition screen, make sure "filtered group" is
selected, then click the Add button under the open field next to
"filtered group." We're going to create a filter that chooses all
citations to a specific source.

3. In order to make the filter recognizable for future use, enter a
name in the Save Filter as field at the top. Maybe "Citations to
Selected Sources."

4. In the drop-down under "Field" find "Source Number." Leave Operator
set to " = Equals" and in the Value field enter "[?]" (without the
quotes). This allows you to select any source by number any time you
run the report. Click OK to exit the filter screen.

5. Select where you want the report to got to in the "Print to" box.
I'd suggest to Screen. You are done defining the report. you can now
use it as often as you want.

6. To create the report, click "Print & Save" (that means print the
report and save the definition). When you do, you will see a screen
like the filter definition, with the Value field blank. Enter the
source number of the source you want to use there and click OK. Your
report will come up.

You have several choices about how you can use this report in the
future. As long as you don't make any change to the definition of the
List of Citations report, you can just select it from the Report menu.
It will always be available using Report > List of... > Citations, or
if you haven't used too many other reports, it will appear on the list
of recently used reports at the bottom of the Report menu.
It's also possible to permanently save this report definition, and put
it on a toolbar button. If you want to do that, we can give you
directions.

> 2. When I did a simple import of Legacy data, I can't
> seem to find, or know where they are, what in Legacy was
> called "Comments" from the source citations. I put all of
> my census data details of the particular family's census
> info in that spot, instead of the "Details" place, like
> an idiot. After reading some of the April posts, I am
> not sure that getting the Comments from source citations
> is possible in an import from Legacy. Are these details
> just gone forever?

Sorry, I can't help with this one.

> Thank you ever so much for your speedy reply. I'm
> anxious to dive into using TMG (and hopefully, I can
> understand better this time the overall concepts! I'm
> not crazy about dealing with sentence structures for
> reports, but once I get the hang of it I guess I'll be
> okay.)

Have you looked at the TMG Basics article on my website? Does that
help at all?

Sentence structures are something you can mostly ignore, or you can
see as an opportunity to get exactly what you want in narrative output
-- depends on where your personal priorities are. You can get decent
output using the defaults, if you pay just enough attention to
sentence structures to put the data in the right tag types and place
it in the appropriate fields. Or, on the other extreme, you can create
complex and/or customized sentence structures that produce high
quality narratives. Depends on what you want. <g> I've got some notes
on basics on my website, and I've covered it quite a bit in chapter 6
of GTMOOTMG.

Terry

This thread: