TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1082392647

From: "Carol Hall" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tip of the Day - Source Elements and Source Element Groups
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:37:27 -0700

Wow! I sure got quick answers! :-) Now I understand. And I agree with Terry that the labels are confusing. Now that I know not to think of them as individual elements, I can work with them better. (Personally, I'd rather they had stuck with the "groups" as elements and dispensed with the confusing labels. But that's just me. :-)

I have pretty much given up using the templates as they stand, though, or even creating custom templates. What I do is just put most of the source data right into the "Output form" fields. I use the element groups for a few things, because I think they might be needed for alphabetizing the author names in the bibliography and I found out you have to use the elements in order to get the < and > around a URL. But mostly I set them up individually. They print out just fine that way. I don't know what it would do to the source definition in a GEDCOM, but I don't intend to export a GEDCOM, so it doesn't matter.

Still, it's nice to get information about the program and understand the reasoning behind things.

Thanks much!!

Carol Hall
Kent WA

Teresa Ghee Elliott wrote:
>I might add, that once I got over having to use the "labels" provided for me
>and began to customize those for my use, source editing got much easier. It
>takes a while to figure out where to put your custom label, but once you do,
>I think it makes it easier on you, not harder.

This thread: