TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1082811611

From: Darrell Martin <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 1.2d (DOS) on ME and XP?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:00:35 -0500

At 07:53 PM 4/23/04, Jim Byram wrote:
>Susan,
>
>Try this (from the MS Knowledge Base)...
>
>Both the Files= and Buffers= statements in the Config.sys file are only used
>when starting your computer with a Windows Me Startup Disk that includes a
>Config.sys with these settings. If your MS-DOS-based program does not run in
>Windows because it needs a Files or Buffers setting in the Config.sys file,
>then you may be able to start your computer with a Windows Me Startup Disk
>that includes these settings and run the program in Real mode.
>
>That appears to be the solution.
>
>Jim

Hi, Jim:

That, or dump Win M-e in favor of Win 98 SE, if practical. It uses less resources (by a small amount, in my experience), it is more stable, and just about everything not written or built specifically for NT or XP will run on it. There *may* be some hardware that Win 98 doesn't recognize, but that would be rare and it is typical that drivers would be readily available.

Windows Millenium Edition is the least successful operating system in Microsoft history, relative to the state of the art at the time of release. A possible exception is MS-DOS 4.0.

In my opinion.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy

This thread: