TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1082857500

From: "Donald W. Range" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Outlook v. TMG Wars
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:45:20 -0700

Cheryl,

One technique you can try in order to find out what is causing the conflict
is to use MSCONFIG to control what loads at startup. There is a lot of
stuff loaded without your knowledge, some of it unnecessary. I had a
problem (having nothing to do with TMG) with CD-playing software conflicting
with Topo USA mapping software that was identified by this method. To do
this for Windows XP, first reboot and don't start any applications so you
have a freshly booted configuration. Then run MSCONFIG ["Start" button,
Run" button, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotes), click the "Startup" tab].
You will see what Windows currently loads at startup. Verify that you still
have the Outlook/TMG conflict.

Make a note of which startup items are currently checked so you can go back
to your initial settings after experimenting. Then deselect all of the
checked items and restart the computer. If this fixes the Outlook/TMG
conflict do it again with some the of startup items reenabled. Keep
enabling and disabling startup items and repeating the restart/test process
until you find the offending item. If you find it, look at its "command" in
the MSCONFIG window to see if you can figure out what it's for and if it's
OK to leave it permanantly out. You may have to widen the "command" part of
the form to see the whole path. For further help finding out what a
particular item is for, check website http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
. If you found a conflict-causing item that you can leave out, reenable
everything that you made note of before experimenting except the offending
item.

To the best of my knowledge you won't make your computer unstartable by
disabling all the startup items. At least my computer restarts just fine
with all the items disabled, and both Outlook and TMG load just fine in this
condition.

When you are done you will get a MSCONFIG dialog box at every startup. Just
check the box to telling it not to run at startup and the dialog box will
not reappear (until you run MSCONFIG intentionally again).

Hope this suggestion proves useful.

Don Range