TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1082928717

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Is TMG the right program for this project?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:31:57 -0400

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:10:49 -0400, John Cardinal wrote:

> Joe advised keeping things very vanilla (my term):
>
> And add witnesses to the list of things you ought to
> avoid.
>
> But that is not the only way to go. If you use only the
> subset of features that makes it more convenient to
> transfer to another program, you will either not record
> information that doesn't fit neatly into the simpler
> structures, or you will record it in notes. Even doing so
> doesn't guarantee that a transfer will go well. If you
> use SS, your site or CD will be less usable as a result.

I would second that observation, especially with witnesses. As I
recall, you are working with a group of people in a community, where
you may have people involved in common events that are not otherwise
related. If you make them witnesses to those events, Second Site will
create clickable links in the narratives, allowing readers to easily
navigate from one participant to another. I find this very helpful in
family histories; I would think it more so in community histories.

Terry Reigel

This thread: