TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-06 > 1086707724

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Wish list item
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:15:24 -0400

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:43:00 -0400, Walt wrote:

> Both Windows XP and TMG 5 like a lot of memory. My
> recommendation would be that you figure on 1 to 1.5
> gigabytes of memory to run TMG 5 under XP. A computer
> which you are upgrading to XP will in most cases take a
> maximum of 512 MB (that is, half a gigabyte).
>
> I'm sure that it is possible to run TMG 5 under XP on
> less memory than I suggest but I feel strongly that it
> would be happier and run faster with this amount of
> memory. With a maximum of 512 MB it would be better to
> use Win 98 (or Win ME if that is the operating system
> that came installed on your computer).
>
> Have any of you had experience that says I am wrong about
> this?

I ran WinXP for some time with half a gig of memory. Normally I had
two copies of TMG5 (beta and regular) TMG4, e-mail client, and browser
all open, also often Word and other programs. I was disappointed that
I couldn't seem much difference when I upgraded to a full Gig of RAM.
But my "test" was entirely subjective - I didn't try to actually
objectively measure any differences.

Terry Reigel

This thread: