TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-07 > 1090515042

From: Sandy Kelley <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT:Poll Tax
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:50:42 -0500

Dale

A Poll Tax in Texas through the early 1960's was a tax paid on registration
to vote. When I was 21 and ready to vote [I Like Ike, etc.] I found that
in Texas you paid a Poll Tax. It was collected at time of registration to
vote (not a Party thing and not at time of voting) . In order to vote you
registered with the State and paid a small fee. This was a hold over from
segregation. In the 1960's and desegregation, this dropped by the wayside.

Sandy