TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-09 > 1096387622

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Betty's census
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:08:54 -0400

Teresa Ghee Elliott wrote:
>Betty Frain sent me a wonderful document that explains how she has set up
>her census work in TMG. I have the DOC file on my website at:
>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rutherfordcemetery/Bettyscensus.doc

There is a lot to like regarding Betty Frain's system. First and foremost
is that the citations that are produced follow the recommendations of the
National Archives and Bureau of the Census much more closely than most
others. The citations designed by both Lackey and Mills give the
essentials and will allow the reader to find the document being
cited. However, their citation designs also assume that the reader
understands more about the census data than might be for a new user of the
census data.

In addition, as Betty points out, each census is essentially a "book" and
each film just part of the "book". There is a lot to be said for Mills
citation method whereby each person on the census would have their own
Source and Citation. Thus a reader is directed to only that one line of
information. Conversely, Lackey's method is more closely associated with
the "book" design. Yet Lackey's design might be more closely akin to the
"chapter" of the "book" than is Betty's design.

Let me point out a couple of things I would change. First, I would create
a Custom Source Type that would make it simpler to create the Sources. I
created a Custom Source Type called "Census, Federal (Frain)" [or "Census,
Federal (Book)"] to give credit to Betty. I indicated it was most similar
to "Census, Federal (Filmed)" and assigned the following Source Templates:
Full Footnote:
<[CD2], >[SUBJECT], [DATE]: [TITLE]<, [FILM NUMBER]>,
[PUBLISHER]<, [PUBLISHER ADDRESS]><, [CD1]>.
Short Footnote:
[SHORT TITLE]<, [CD1]><, [CD2]>.
Bibliography:
[SUBJECT]. [DATE]: [TITLE]. [FILM NUMBER].
[PUBLISHER]<, [PUBLISHER ADDRESS]>.

Then when I created a Source, I could just select this Source Type and
enter the appropriate data. One thing this will do is allow the user to
enter the data for the Citation only once. Currently Betty enters the data
on the General tab of the Source Definition Screen and then re-enters it on
the Output Forms tab in the three fields. This is a lot of typing. Other
than this there is no problem with doing it this way.

My Source Templates also add a couple of fields for data entry which may or
may not be used as the user wishes. These fields are: (1) the Short Title
field and (2) the Publisher Address field.

I use the Short Title field for the Short Footnote Template to essentially
enter a combination of the Abbreviation and part of the Date. This makes
the Short Footnote not be as long as the Full Footnote. If one desires,
they could add " Hereinafter cited as [ITAL:][SHORT TITLE][:ITAL]>." to the
Full Footnote and this would allow readers to know that later citations of
this Source would show the Short Title.

I added the Publisher Address field so that the place (Washington, D.C.)
could be entered there separately from the Publisher name. The design of
the Source Templates above is such that the Publisher Place could be
entered in the same field as the Publisher name as Betty has done and the
Publisher Address field left blank. Either way works.

As I said, I like Betty's system although there are some minor parts I
would not use. Not because they are wrong, they just aren't my style and I
would do them differently or not at all.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;