TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-10 > 1097372753

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Age calculator & irregular dates
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:45:53 -0400

Robin Lamacraft wrote:
> John, I thought about proposing this using an extra field but I felt that
> it was adding an extra complexity for regular date entries. If your
> suggestion was implemented, then I feel that it would be the most effective.

Robin,

There is extra complexity either way. When the current date field does double duty, the complexity is somewhat hidden until the user needs the capability. Then, the ugly truth comes to light! <g> In the separate field method, the extra field is visible, and the user has to understand why it exists. The extra field could be disabled unless the user was in "Advanced" mode. That delays the issue a bit. I suppose that's a good thing.

> I have one query - what would be exported to Gedcom?

I presume that the display date would be exported.

> I am sure that you
> can handle this extra date in Second Site.

Yes, SS doesn't do much date calculating. Even so, using one field versus another would be a pretty straightforward change.

John

This thread: