TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-10 > 1097604783

From: Darrell Martin <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Tmg on celeron
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:13:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Teresa:

I agree with Gordon's recommendations for the most part. However, a Celeron would be *more* than good enough for TMG use, assuming there is enough memory, speed, and hard drive space (in that order). Disdain for the Celeron is justified for earlier versions, or if you are a confirmed geek (guilty). But if you aren't going to really put the PC through its paces using other programs, save the $400 and spend it to max out the memory -- plus other goodies.

512 MB vs 1 GB will probably depend on how many programs you try to run at once. But you can never have too much memory, as my late grandmother would have said if she had ever seen a computer [grin].

Hyperthreading requires programs and/or an operating system written to take advantage of it before it makes a noticeable difference, from what I've read. TMG would not be among them.

Darrell