TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-10 > 1099076618

From: "RonB" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tmg on celeron/Athlon
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:04:03 -0400

There was a brief mention a while ago on this thread that an Athlon-based
laptop would be comparable to a Pentium 4 (or Pentium-M?), and much better
than a Celeron for running TMG.

I'm looking for a laptop as a second computer and just wondered if anyone
could elaborate on this point, from personal experience with TMG or
otherwise. For example, I saw a recent ad for an AMD Athlon XP-M 2200+ ,
512 MB, 12" display notebook, and wondered how this would compare to, say, a
Centrino (which seems to be more expensive for similar configurations). And
does anyone have any experience with battery life of Athlon vs Centrino?

My TMG project currently contains about 4500 people, plus exhibits etc. I'd
also want to use software like Paint Shop Pro on the laptop (with a bunch of
genealogy-related images), and other miscellaneous programs (maybe even a
version of FTM for helping/working with relatives who may not have seen the
TMG "light" <g>).

Thanks for any comments.

Ron B

This thread: