TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-12 > 1102198841

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Cautionary Tale on Date Inputing
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:20:41 +0000

At 08:56 PM 12/4/2004, Terry Reigel wrote:
>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:09:04 +0000, Darrell A. Martin wrote:
>
>> As an American, I expect "our" illogical
>> mm/dd/yyyy when data is entered in this format, but it
>> should at least be consistent.
>
>You can have it - you just have to be consistent. <g>
>
>That is, TMG lets you specify whether you prefer day/month, or
>month/day. Then it believes you. That is, it tries to interpret what
>you enter with the assumption that you are following your own
>convention. It makes those interpretations pretty intelligently:

Terry:

To which last comment I disagree. When I enter data that *based on my preference* is not a valid date, TMG will sometimes *CHANGE* it to something else.

Entered 11/12/2004 get 11 Dec 2004

Clearly showing that the preferences are set to dd/mm/yyyy;

Entered 11/25/2004 get 25 Nov 2004

The entry *should* mean 11th day, 25th (invalid) month, year 2004. I would understand TMG making the change if a warning were issued, and I would understand it if the entry were called an irregular date. However, the program instead "assumes" they entry was intentional, even though by my own choice it is invalid; and then it "assumes" it knows what I meant (or should have meant), rather than asks me.

As I said, I am not personally affected by this behavior. I always enter dates with the month as the alpha abbreviation, in the form dd MMM yyyy .

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy/

This thread: