TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-12 > 1102521375

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Question
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:56:15 -0500

At 10:14 AM 12-8-2004 -0500, Lee Hoffman wrote:
>I have a number of gravestones attached as Exhibits to Burial Tags in my
>projects. Some are attached to the person in a few cases in which I do
>not have other photos. Mostly this is for _very_ old gravestones -- back
>before the 1700s. I keep trying to find photos for the persons then but
>for some reason all I can find is an oil painting or two. I can't
>understand why - surely some photos would exist before cameras were
>invented. <VBG>

Well... One reference I found dates a camera obscura to 5thC BCE
China. Certainly in the Western world, da Vinci described a camera obscura
before 1500. Although somehow I think you might be referring to
photochemical photography, which dates from the late 1820s?

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe