TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-12 > 1104381402

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: Getting OT was RE: [TMG] CD Backups
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:36:42 -0500

Fran Anderson wrote:
>Does anyone have suggestions on uses for 8" floppies? I have a couple left
>over from one quarter in college when I had to buy them (for too much
>money!). (I graduated from college in 1984 at the age of 52.) I've still got
>one old 486 computer that can take both 5.25" and 3.5" disks, if needed. And
>I still have a working Commodore 128 that has two 5.25 disk drives, and at
>least some of those old disks still worked the last time I tried them.

Actually, I have wondered about that myself. I designed and programmed a
complete set of programs for a CP/M based multiprocessor manufacturing
database system. After I left the company, I kept a copy of those programs
in hard copy and on 8" diskettes (about two dozen). When I moved a few
years ago, those diskettes got moved also. The system they were designed
is undoubtedly long since not only obsolete but long gone and none like it
available. I did have a single processor system (that could have read the
diskettes) up until about 1995 when I finally took it to the dump.

About the only use I can think of is as frisbies. Except they aren't very
good for that. <G>

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;