TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-02 > 1107384446

From: Robin Lamacraft <>
Subject: RE: RE: [TMG] Methods-Dates: How do you handle Unknown Dates?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:17:26 +1030

At 16:28 2/02/2005 -0600, Linda wrote:
>Robin, that idea intrigues me. Do you allow it to be the primary birth
>tag or do you force it to secondary status?

Linda,

I usually make it primary until I have better Primary data (but I don't
delete it as it helps to review the way that you estimate such dates - from
birth of their children or a record of a marriage). By making it primary
the age column gives you more insight into that estimate and other events
in that person's life.

In fact, a more general concept that I use is "create a custom tag in the
appropriate group for any additions that you make to your data to help your
analysis". For example, I have many records of birth from the index of
registrations at the UK PRO (now the UK National Archives). These only give
the Quarter and District of registration, so I created a "Birth-Indx" tag
in the Birth Group as a way of entering this data without it being confused
with "real" birth data. It provides a "mark in the sand" that helps
building the picture. So again I can filter for these when I want to
understand what needs to be followed up.

RobinL