TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-04 > 1112630659

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Why are local sentences bad?
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:04:19 -0400

Mark Pepall wrote:
> Instead of using local sentences I use a role with [M] only
> as I find it easier than fiddling with all those <> and []
> and variables, running INP and then fiddling some more to get
> the punctuation and prepositions right. But am I missing
> some functionality by not using local sentences? Why are
> local sentences good?

Mark,

It strikes me that your question isn't really about the difference between
local sentences and global sentences, but rather, about using sentence
variables versus the tag's memo. I understand why you would use [M]; it can
be the best approach . On the other hand...

When you do not use sentence variables, you must remember to go into the
memo and adjust dates or places, etc., if you change the date or place, or
add witnesses, etc.

When you key dates in the memo directly, you have to key them in the output
format you want; TMG won't format them for you and changing the report date
format doesn't change the date in the memo.

When you key people's names in the memo, you lose the ability for Second
Site to convert the name into a link when it builds web pages for you.

I am sure other people will have additional reasons for why they use
sentence variables.

Back to your original question of why local sentences are good. I think the
primary reason is that local sentences allow you to adjust the sentence
output so that it flows well with the other sentences for a specific person.
Some people avoid creating a lot of different roles by adjusting local
sentences to suit the specific situation.

Personally, I use roles and I have defined global sentences to take
advantage of them, I use local sentences, and I have at least one tag type
where the default sentence is [M].

John

This thread: