TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-04 > 1114268706

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG6 Journal "No children"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:05:06 +0000

At 02:15 PM 4/23/2005, Linda K wrote:
>Ken Healy wrote:
>> When printing a Journal Report if a married couple has no children it
>> prints "There were no children of (mother and father names)". This may not
>> be true; it may be just that we have not yet found the children.
>>
>> I have reviewed the Options for the Journal as well as the TMG manual and
>> the GTMOOTMG. I can not find a way to eliminate this statement.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
>
>Hello Ken,
>
>That's one of my pet peeves - the statement assumes facts not in evidence.
>It's my understanding that the wording is hard-wired into the TMG program so
>there's no way to change it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else will speak
>up and correct me. :)
>
>Anyway, perhaps one of the following ideas will help.
>
> (1) Give every childless, married couple a fake child named either "Issue
>(if any) unknown to this researcher" or "No Issue" or "Line not continued in
>this database" or whatever other wording is needed on a case-by-case basis.
>
> (2) Alternatively, place such wording in the Marriage Tag Memo or in a
>custom footnote/endnote.
>
> (3) Put a disclaimer at the beginning of the report which clarifies the
>*real* meaning of the TMG sentence - "There are no children of (Husband and
>Wife) in this database". This option is certainly the easiest, although not
>as effective in achieving the goal.
>
>Linda

Hi:

There is a solution that doesn't require data entry. It does, however, require that you use the "Language" feature of TMG.

Before doing this, familiarize yourself as much as you feel you need to, with the "Language" feature. For the most part, if you choose to use "English2" you should be fine; it exists for situations just like this. But TEST before moving forward.

It is not possible to edit the language "English". There is, as distributed, an exact equivalent named "English2". It can be modified by the user. The data in the languages provided by TMG (or which are added by the user) is pretty extensive. Fortunately, it is arranged in something close to alphabetical order (ASCII sort, I *think*).

First, edit the language "English2":

File-->Language-->Customize-->(select English2)-->Edit

Scroll down until you find the string:

There were no children of %##%

Change it to read whatever you want, but leave the %##% untouched unless you know a whole lot more about the program than I do (I can guess but choose not to [grin]). I suggest something like:

No children have been found for %##%

Click "Close" then click "Close" again.

Next, you must select the language "English2" for use.

File-->Language

Note that the language you are currently using (I assume "English") has a checkmark next to it. Click "English2". Done. You can go back and verify, if you want [grin]. Note also, though, that you can switch back and forth between languages at any time. Some users have taken this to an impressive level of sophistication; I'm assuming you would rather just fix the "no children" problem, at least for now....

IMPORTANT: If you choose to use "English2" as your language, and if keeping the modifications is important to you, make sure that you back it up with the rest of your data.

File-->Backup-->Select your regular
backup type. Select to either save
as a new configuration, or to
overwrite the current one.

In Step 3: Options, make sure
"Language translations" is checked.

If you have more than one backup type defined, you should apply this change to the one that is the most comprehensive.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy/

This thread: