TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-04 > 1114644832

From: "Karenhappuch" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Bibliography - IGI Entries
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:33:52 -0700

I use IGI marriages when they have been extracted from county records. When
I view microfilms of the marriage records, I replace the IGI source with the
record (microfilmed) source. Much of my research centers on Ohio where most
of the 19th century marriage records have been filmed and also extracted.
My experience has been that the IGI marriage extractions are at least as
reliable as genealogy society marriage books (also generally "indexes").
Viewing the record does often provide additional information, but otherwise
the transcribed names and dates are well done.
I'm more concerned with some books from local genealogy societies where
information appears to have been added or modified by members.
While recognizing the IGI is an index, it doesn't make sense that Mills
considers Ancestry File ok if it is undocumented. I'd never consider using
that as a source.
Barbara