TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-07 > 1121379535

From: Ian Singer <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT: Computer Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:19:08 -0400

Pam wrote:

> Sorry for the off topic question but I have a pretty big computer
> problem and I'm hoping someone from the list with more knowledge than
> I can help. I came home from a 2-week trip to Salt Lake City to a
> computer with a dead motherboard (that'll teach me to leave my hubby
> alone w/my computer<g>).
>
> I've ordered a new one and I'm pretty up to date with backups but
> there are a few things I want to get off the old C drive. I was
> planning to just move the jumper to slave and install it as a second
> hard drive in the new computer until I get the files I need. I was
> then going to remove it and put the second drive in my old computer
> into the new one. Since both drives from the old computer are
> formatted and have data on them, I'm assuming I can just put them in
> and the computer will recognize them? Both computers are Pentium 4s
> and have/will have WinXP Home installed. Is there anything I need to
> be aware of that might pose a problem? Both old drives are Western
> Digital and since the new computer is from the same manufacturer
> (Dell) I'm guessing the new drive will also be WD. I know some brands
> used to be incompatible with one another but I'm hoping these will all
> be the same brand. I appreciate any suggestions I may have not thought
> of.

Should be no problem as long as both computers are reasonably new. Mine
died on vacation too and I took one of the drives out of it and put it
in an older one and that was a problem as the older bios translated the
number of heads and cylinders incorrectly so drive had to be
reformatted. Also you might have problems if any of the drives were
fully or partially partitioned with utilities such as Partition Magic or
Casper. Now moving CD drives can be a different matter and my CD drive
does not like the DVD drive and for some reason the new computer keeps
on locking up even with second hard drive and CD removed. If you are
talking Bootmagic and three drives and DOS and XP I will teach you how
to swear!

Ian Singer