TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-07 > 1121380913

From: "DeAnna Burghart" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] OT: Computer Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:41:53 -0700

With any modern drive, you *should* be able to just plug them in, if, as you
say, they're jumpered to the right settings. I don't know how you have your
CD/DVD drive set up, but assuming it's primary on the second IDE cable, then
slaving your old drive to the primary IDE cable should work just fine.
(Obviously if Dell sets up the CD/DVD as slave, you'll want to set the
second drive as primary on the secondary IDE cable.) Your system should
recognize it as D and off you go. I say this in theory, as I haven't
actually done it yet ... ;)

A couple possible gotchas to look out for:

* IDE or EIDE? Make sure that the drive you have is compatible with the IDE
cable on the new mobo. I haven't built a computer in 2 years now, but I
think I recall at the time there were new IDE specs coming out and they
weren't all compatible? I could be completely off my lid here. ;)

* SATA or not? I am not entirely certain how it all works, but I think if
you have a SATA compatible mobo you might need to set something in the BIOS
in order to make sure it's not trying to read your old IDE drive as a SATA
drive? Just best to check the BIOS, I'd think.

* Boot settings -- make sure that the old drive isn't set as a boot -- make
your boot C: and make sure D: (or whatever) is skipped entirely in the boot
sequence (unless you want to boot to the old drive for some reason).

* BIOS settings -- Tangent to the above (and to what Ian just mentioned)
make sure that you know what kind of drive it is before installing, so you
can pop into BIOS right off and make sure it has detected it properly. If it
hasn't, you can probably just fix it to the right settings, but only if you
know what they are.

That's all just nitty worry wort stuff, though, and it should work just
fine. I've done it before a few times with other drives when upgrading
computers. It's a great way of making sure that you've really, really got
everything before finally marrying yourself to the new system.

DeAnna