TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-07 > 1121389963

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT: Computer Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:12:43 -0400

Pam wrote:
>I've ordered a new one and I'm pretty up to date with backups but there
>are a few things I want to get off the old C drive. I was planning to
>just move the jumper to slave and install it as a second hard drive in the
>new computer until I get the files I need. I was then going to remove it
>and put the second drive in my old computer into the new one. Since both
>drives from the old computer are formatted and have data on them, I'm
>assuming I can just put them in and the computer will recognize
>them? Both computers are Pentium 4s and have/will have WinXP Home
>installed. Is there anything I need to be aware of that might pose a
>problem? Both old drives are Western Digital and since the new computer
>is from the same manufacturer (Dell) I'm guessing the new drive will also
>be WD. I know some brands used to be incompatible with one another but
>I'm hoping these will all be the same brand. I appreciate any suggestions
>I may have not thought of.

You may not need to change the jumper. Most systems nowadays do the
selection by swapping wires at the connector (and those are mostly
pre-wired. So all you would do is install the drive in the computer and
plug it in. This is assuming that you plug both drives into the same
cable. If so, you may wind up with some odd (to your thinking) drive
letter assignment (e.g., your "new" drive might be drive E: if the CD drive
is D:). But this won't hurt anything. I even wound up one time with drive
E: being my boot (system) drive and drive C: just being a data drive.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;