TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-08 > 1124552542

Subject: Query by Example
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:42:22 EDT

Jim,

I started my genealogy research with a program called ROOTS run on a Heath
Kit computer some 25 or 30 years ago. I have migrated my database through
upgrades, and both computer and program replacements including UFT and TMG
several times. I find it frustrating that it is easier to find a person in my
database posted on the Internet at worldconnect.rootsweb.com than in the TMG
program on my PC. Of all the picklist filters, I have found TMG 5 and 6 to be
the most cumbersome. I found the picklist in TMG version 4 to be much easier
to use than its upgraded cousins. I use the query by example because it is
easier than the "advanced filter" and maintain that it could, and should, be
made much more useful. I would return to version 4 but for the enormous
amount of work involved. For my nickel, this beginner finds reliability,
convenience, and ease of use of much more value than 100s of options that I don't and
probably will never use.

Sincerely,

John Heard