TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-09 > 1127173388

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Pre-USA country designations
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:43:08 -0400

Bill Reque wrote:
>Just wondering what the correct "Country" specs would be for a person:
>1. Born in what is now NY state in 1642.
>2. Born in PA in 1765.
>
>I just realized USA isn't quite there yet......
>
>Was there an official title?

Not really. That is, the country would probably be the "old" country in
reality -- meaning the King, Queen, or whatever of the country to which the
colonist were subjects. And that may have been three or four different
European countries. So PA would have been the "Colony of Pennsylvania" (or
something like that) and the country -- England. On the other hand, that
might be somewhat confusing also. But it is more technically correct than
saying the state was PA and the Country was USA.

However, if someone were sending mail (using today's concept) from
somewhere in England to PA, they would not be using a country. They just
address it to the colony.

On the other hand, the suggestions of America or Colonial America pretty
much conveys the situation to most people reading your reports. At least,
that mopre or less point to the continent.

You pays your money and takes your pick. <g>

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;