TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-09 > 1127226572

Subject: Re: [TMG] Pre-USA country designations
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:29:32 EDT

Well, each colony was a little different, although they were all at one time
English colonies. And nope, I'm not confused. They were called English
colonies when they were governed by England and English law. At first, Jamestown,
or James Cittie (as it was first called in official documents) was *not*
governed by the nation of England. It was governed by the Virginia Company of
London, also called the Virginia Company, a *private* stock company. It was a
private adventure and undertaking and they called their adventure the Virginia
Plantation. There were some land grants for Hundreds (as in the English
system), but there was no private, individual ownership of land, as we now know
it, in the first years. The Hundreds had to support a number of persons.
Virginia really did not use the term of "proprietor" until much later, during the
Northern Neck land grants. North Carolina and other colonies had proprietors
earlier, like Robert, the Earl of Granville. The council of the Virginia
Company resided in England, but they also had a local council in Virginia. They
also had the first elected legislative body -- elected landowners residing in
Virginia (after private and individual ownership of land). After Virginia
became a royal colony, the Virginia governors resided in Virginia. Records are
extremely scant during this early time in Virginia, but we do have some of the
records of the Virginia Company, some early legislative records, some
records in England, and we have most all of our land patents. - Frankie
In a message dated 9/19/2005 10:42:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,