TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-09 > 1127498968

From: "Barbara Hammer" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Re: Ages -- IT WASN'T A SWIPE AT LITTLE OLD LADIES!! :D :? :(
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:09:28 -0500

Well, add me to your list, Joan. I'm 66 and first started doing genealogical research in my early 20s before computers, internet records, etc. One of my uncles was in charge of update the Ray family tree each year at the reunions and somehow I thought I would start on my paternal side since no one had done that as far as I could tell. Well, I got busy with the kids' activities and working, then going to nursing school, and then working again. Finally, about 5-6 years ago, I got interested in genealogical research since there was beginning to be so much online and research all the software programs available and discovered TMG. I bought the software and have been happy with it ever since; now I just have to go back and put in all my sources, citations, etc., since I didn't think that was necessary in the beginning as I was just doing it for "fun".

In 2002, I "met" a "cousin" online from CA who came to visit me in IA the following summer and we had a riot doing research on the Ferguson line; our great grandfathers were brothers who married and lived in central IA, about 50 miles from where I currently live. We visited the older cemeteries where her line were buried as well as mine. My family thinks I'm nuts when I go take my pictures at cemeteries, but that's okay.

I have started sharing at the Ferguson reunions each year and now I got myself the "job" of doing it for my husband's family. I have a niece who is really getting interested in genealogy now so I will have someone to pass my information onto, at least for my family; now I just have to find someone interested on my husband's side.

Barbara Ferguson Hammer
Iowa