TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-09 > 1127602688

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Computers and programs used (was: Ages)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:58:08 +0000

Hi:

FWIW:

1. Paper - beginning ca 1968.

2. WordStar 3 for CP/M - I created a separate document for each family in NEHGS Register format.

3. Family Ties for CP/M - Ran on two 360 KB floppies, one for program, one for data, on a Kaypro 2X with 64 KB RAM and a CPU running at 5 MHz (overclocked from 4 MHz). Transfer was of course by re-entering everything. Output was from a Sherman Tank masquerading as an IBM Proprinter 9-pin dot matrix.

4. Family Ties for DOS - I had to purchase a separate GEDCOM export module for the CP/M program. Data transfer was by 5-1/4" floppy disk. It all worked fine except FT-CP/M did not provide for pedigree collapse, and it took a while to get my highly collapsed pedigree properly organized. It ran on a 10 MB hard drive, on a PC-XT clone with 128 MB RAM and a CPU running at 10 MHz. Output was from an Epson LQ 24-pin dot matrix printer. I thought I had reached Nirvana.

5. Roots III - The GEDCOM export module for FT-DOS Family Ties was barely adequate. Buying the program and all the add-ons cost me more than the used car I drove.

6. Roots IV to UFT 3.1 - One of the upgrades was the biggest mess I ever hope to experience in my genealogical computing life, possibly because of peculiarities of the data going all the way back to the CP/M program. Others had problems too, though. I effectively tossed the whole thing and started from scratch with UFT 3.0.

7. TMG 4.0d, 5.15, 6.01, so far.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy/

This thread: