TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2005-09 > 1127691453

From: Judith Lipmanson <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Mills' Evaluating Evidence
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:37:42 -0400

Barbara:

Hate to admit this, but after writing my original post I plowed through
my bookcases and found Mills' book. It was one of the first I bought and
read it quite some time ago. Forgot I had it.

Nowhere does she talk about the SIE template system. I'm guessing it
will appear in the forthcoming book. Meanwhile, would recommend reading
the article in either of the two journals I referenced below. It's
worthwhile.

By the way, the SIE Template is not a scaled system. It is based on the
idea there are three facets to the reliability and validity of our
genealogical information: Sources, Information, Evidence. Each has two
objective sub-categories, and the researcher selects one of the entries
under each. The final choices constitute a simple, objective, and
meaningful analysis of the quality of that information.

In the article, Mills even suggests how it can be implemented in
genealogical software.

Judith