TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1141268819

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] List of sources - title?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:06:59 -0500

Richard Cleaveland wrote:
>Really what I wanted was a list of titles sequenced by source type.
>Sorry I neglected to include that in my post.

Yes, that is not available in the List of Source report.

>I tried exporting the data base to xls but was not sufficiently
>adept to find the source titles; I figured the source type had to be
>part of or linked to those records so I could get the desired sort.

You are on the right track here. What you want is the "M" file after
the export The file name would be (assuming the file is Cleveland)
something like - ClevelandM.XLS.

Open this in Excel. There will be a number of columns of data that
you don't care about but the columns you want will have the following
as column headers :
majnum
abbrev
title
type

To get the results that you want as noted above, select all columns
and all records and choose Data=>Sort frtom the Excel Main
Menu. Sort as follows:
Sort Field A = type
Sort Field B = title
Sort Field C = majnum

Actually Sort Field C is optional. I choose to have similar Types &
Titles in Source ID# order. There probably won't be any, but just in case.

Note that the Type column is a numeric value. This corresponds to
the Sourtype column value in a different file -- specifically the
ClevelandA.XLS file. You can open it in Excel and convert the number
there to the name of the Source Type.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;