TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1141341830

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Omissions
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:23:50 -0500

Lynn Rudberg wrote:
>Perhaps my hopes are unrealistic but here goes: When I input data
>and then look at the individual narrative or journal reports, I
>often find I need to place the omission sign (-) at the county or
>state level element so that the narrative is not redundant and is
>more readable.

This is called the Exclusion Marker. It is used, as you explain, to
exclude certain data from report. The single dash means that you may
control when the data is printed (e.g., not excluded) or not printed
(e.g., excluded) in the various reports. If you have entered data
into a field and _never_ want it printed, then you would use the
Double Exclusion Marker (two dashes, e.g., '--' instead of just one,
e.g., '-').

>However, that means that the pedigree charts (and I suspect the box
>charts too) have incomplete data regarding places. Is there a way
>to work around this or must I deal with each narrative report by
>deleting the redundant place elements in Word?

In the Report Definition, if you want data marked with the Exclusion
Marker to print, select the [Options] button, and in the Options
window, click on the Miscellaneous or Other tab and select the "Show
excluded data" option.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;