TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1141645665

From: "Bill Teschek" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Genbridge from UFT
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 06:47:45 -0500

Sandy,

I recently imported from UFT as well, but didn't have any problem
with my sources coming in. There is a checkbox in step six of the
Genbridge import that reads "Import source categories, components and
templates". I had it checked. Did you?

One of the toughest decisions I had to make during the whole import
process was where to put the Detail A and Detail B fields from the
various birth, marriage, etc. events. You have the option of putting
them into the new tag event memo fields or into the place detail
field (which means it goes into the place library.) You will need to
fully understand the ramifications of each choice before you settle
on a final import.

I strongly recommend that you don't rush the process. You don't want
to do hours of work only to discover that you really wished you had
imported it a different way. Play with your new import for a while
before you start adding new data or editing the old. Run reports and
see how they come out. If you ever plan to use gedcom, run some test
gedcoms. There will be hours of cleanup work you'll have to do after
the import. Before starting on that, you'll need to fully understand
sentence structure, place libraries and place styles. Just figuring
out how to use place modifiers in TMG will keep you awake at nights!
There are several options for many of the things you will want to do,
and you'll need to educate yourself before you can comfortably make
some of these decisions. I've spent much time reading the archives of
the list and the variuos websites that some other users have created.

Good luck, and feel free to write with any questions you may have.

Bill Teschek