TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1142224540

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] unwanted carriage return
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:35:40 -0500

Joan Thomas wrote:
>Well, Lee, I obviously don't get it. Maybe my old brain is too drained. I
>consider a hidden "code", one that does not show in the field that I am
>writing. If when I print out a CD it is showing a line of text separated as
>if there had been a carriage return, but that is not what I see in the CD
>detail box, how am I to know that there is some instruction there for a
>carriage return? I had used this same CD 122 times, so it was no small task
>to look at every CD and not be able to determine where the problem was. I
>guess I'm very dense, but 'something' was telling the program to do
>something that wasn't visible to me. If that is not 'hidden'... what would
>be?
>
>Joan

Let me ask if you hit enter after the last
question mark above? Did you hit it
twice? Those are carriage returns. Are they
hidden? Well, I agree there is nothing to show
they are there except the spacing between the "?"
and your signature. So in that sense, yes, it is
hidden. But so is every carriage return produced
by hitting the [Enter] key. TMG does provide a
printer code, viz, [:CR:], that produces a
carriage return in reports when used. Are you
saying that TMG should not recognize the [Enter]
key as a carriage return? An awful lot of users
would disagree with you on that.

As for finding a carriage return, yes, it
probably would not be simple. But, in the
situation that you mentioned, you would determine
the Tag to which the Source Citation was attached
and then it would be easy. You would open the
Source Citation window for that Source, place the
cursor at the end of the text in the Citation
Detail field. If hitting the right-arrow [->]
key allows the cursor to move along the same
line, then there a space had been entered. If
that right-arrow key or subsequent hitting of the
key causes the cursor to move to the beginning of
the next line then a carriage-return had been entered previously.

Of course, when placing the cursor in the
Citation Detail field, if the cursor can be
placed on the line following the text, that is
also evidence that a carriage-return had been entered previously.

Of course, if you want TMG to have some display
indicating a carriage-return similar to word
processors, viz, ΒΆ, then you need to ask Wholly
Genes to add that feature in a future version.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;