TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1142380638

From: "Cheryl Freeman" <>
Subject: Thanks! Was: [TMG] Two kinds of timelines
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:57:18 -0600

Hi Teresa,

Want to say a HUGE thank you for your casual mention of timeline for records
below. When I saw this the lightbulb went on. I've not used timelines at
all, but I have been struggling for a couple of years to wrap my mind around
the early counties/districts of South Carolina. SC did not adopt the county
form of government in colonial days and from 1682 to 1868 there were
proprietary counties, circuit court districts, then "counties in districts",
then counties, then districts, then counties again. Add to this changing
boundaries, new counties, and the boundary between NC and SC being redrawn
in 1815, etc. I've not found a way to document where to search for records
that I've been satisfied with. Last night, I checked the available timelines
that came with TMG, then went to TMGtips to see what was there (thanks to
Lee for that site!). As there was nothing there for SC, I started my own
timeline. Finishing it will be a process (especially because I'm not quite
done with my cleanup for my web site), but I entered some data and turned on
the timeline. Wow, what an awesome tool to help determine what records are
available and in what county and/or circuit court district I should start
looking! I also love seeing in the PV the years where jury lists, state
censuses (and the sole pre-1865 tax list!) are extant - at a glance!

Thanks to you and the other senior members of this list for continuing to
share!