TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1142502614

From: "Carol Simpson" <>
Subject: OT: "Women frightener"
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:50:14 -0900

This is totally OT, but I wanted to share it for two reasons. First, I thought it was fascinating! :) Second, I wonder if anyone knows quite what this man was actually doing? I can conjecture, of course, but am not familiar with the term, and Google was not able to help me.

Naugatuck (CT) Daily News, 11 June 1900

"A woman frightener undertook to frighten two women on Water street near the Shoe company's factory last evening but found that they were not as easily scared as he at first imagined. He followed them as far as Cherry street and made his escape when he saw one of the women conversing with a man to whom he was relating her experience. It was well for the cowardly woman-frightener that he escaped, for had he again attempted to insult the ladies he would probably have gotten all he deserved."

I hope that some of you find this little snippet as interesting as I did, and please let me know if you know of this term and what it really means.

Carol Simpson
Homer, Alaska

This thread: