TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1142527849

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Conflicting Info
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:50:49 -0500

Wayne Colton wrote:

>Hello All, I know I have read here some time ago to enter information as it is found. But after thinking about this Im wondering were does the false info end. I have a child who according to the death records for Ontario died July 10th 1900. However she appears on the census records in April of 1901. Your comments or suggestions are appreciated,

This is where sureties work well. Wayne has to evaluate both pieces of
information and decide which one is more likely correct. Then he can
assign a low 0 or negative - surety for the one piece of info that he
feels wrong. Until he proves either on wrong or correct, probably a 0
surety is better.

without having a name and not having looked at the ON Death Record
index: the Index is in error or there is more than one child with the name

In the Census I don't know if Wayne has looked at the transcription on
Automated Genealogy or also a the Census image on the e same page. The
Census information could have been given to the enumerator by someone
who was not that familiar with the family or did no know the child had
died.

Until he can determine which piece of information is correct, then he
should keep both in his data base and use the sureties to exclude the
more likely false info from a report..

bob gillis

This thread: