TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1142622271

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Sentence not changing
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:04:31 -0500

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 17:35:44 -0800, Joan Thomas wrote:

> Terry,
>
> I'm still learning! And I am doubly confused because:

Me too. <g>

> 1. I added a word to the generic sentence on the wife's
> marriage tag.

I don't know what you mean by "generic sentence" - that sounds like
the sentence in the Marriage Tag Type. But it sounds like you are
editing the marriage tag for this couple. What am I missing?

Also - you say "on the wife's marriage tag." But there is only one tag
for the two of them. Because both of them are entered on that tag, you
can see it from the Person View of either of them. But it's the same
tag, no matter whose view you access it from.

>2. This added word was also reflected in
> the generic sentence for the husband.

Are you sure you added it to the right sentence? Note that when there
are two principals in a tag, there are two sentences. When you open
the sentences screen, you need to select the correct one at the top in
the "Role" box.

> 7. As just explained to me, this word added to the
> generic sentence was also added to the unseen 'role'
> sentence. Apparently only for the wife.

I don't understand what you mean by "unseen 'role' sentence" - there
are no unseen roles. Every person is assigned a role in every tag. By
default for Principals that role is "Principal" - as listed next to
their ID# at the top of the tag entry screen, and at the top of the
Sentences screen when you open that.

> 8. When I opened the 'role' sentences, only the wife's
> still contained the added word.
>
> Now, why was the husbands generic sentence affected by
> the wife's generic sentence, but not the 'role' sentence?

Again I'm not following. I don't understand your terms "generic
sentence" and " 'role' sentence" - the wife only has one sentence.
Are you talking about "global" sentences for the tag type or "local"
sentences in the individual tag?

> It's kind of scary to think that there are unseen
> changes being made without one's knowledge or consent.
> If the 'role' sentences are the ones to be used, then why
> do we have the ability to change the generic sentence?

Have you looked at my article on working with Sentence Structures?
It's at http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Sentences.htm and might help if
you've not seen it.

Terry Reigel

This thread: