TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1143045522

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Selecting places from the picklist when adding to tag info
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:38:42 -0500

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:03:58 -0500, Bill Teschek wrote:
> One more thought on this. My short place name fields are
> part of the problem here. They are carryovers from
> Ultimate Family Tree, but I'm beginning to think that
> they are more of a hindrance than a help in TMG. How are
> other people using these short place names? I don't print
> much in the way reports that need to use short names, so
> perhaps I should just delete them all? I want to make
> sure there isn't some other good reason to keep them
> before I do so, however.

I've never found a use for them. The problem is you have to set a
whole report to use either the full or short names - no way to use the
full one first then short thereafter.

As I recall Second Site has such an option, but it can only work well
if you are consistent in entering places every tag. If you put city/
county/ state in one tag, and city/state in the second, the second
will be seen as a new place, and thus won't get the short place you
might what.

Short places are really intended for charts that don't have much
space. There is a short place template in Preferences that's used for
places with no short place entry when you create a report or chart
using that option.

Terry

This thread: