TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-03 > 1143388934

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Wish List - Sources
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 11:02:14 -0500

Mark, I agree that there could be some improvements to make editing
source elements easier. I'd like to understand your idea, and am
having some difficulty...

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:24:58 +0100, Mark Pepall wrote:
> My wish is for sources, this wish is in response to the
> area I had some difficulty with while learning to create
> sources. I would like to be able to see at a glance the
> labels I have available for each of the core 14 group
> elements.

I don't understand what you mean by "core 14" groups - I don't know of
any group of 14 that is different from the others. Do you mean the 25
or so that can appear in the 14 spots on the General tab of the Report
Definition?

> So to the "Source Elements" screen fancy
> change, have the screen show only the core 14 elements by
> their default names and each have a sub list where you
> can add/select the different labels. Or simpleish, add a
> column for group, and title the current one label, then
> be able to sort by either column, alphabetical, what we
> see now, and by group for me.

Are you talking here about the list of elements that appears when you
click on one of the 14 label buttons on the General Tab of a source
definition screen?

I think there is a problem with adding elements by clicking on these
labels ... namely, that it does nothing to help in adding them to the
output templates. And, until you add them to one or more templates,
nothing's really been accomplished. <g>

Seems to me that what's needed is some sort of list to pick from while
in the output template fields. In that context, I agree that some way
to easily distinguish between those that appear on the General tab and
the others would be very helpful - an idea I'd not thought of before.

Or, maybe an idea is to make it easier to add the elements on the
General tab, as you suggest, then some easy way in the Templates to
add elements that have been placed on the General tab? Make it a
two-step process, and make each step easier than it is now.

Suggestions welcome - this is an area that's troubled me for a while,
and I've had no clear ideas to suggest as improvements.

Terry Reigel

This thread: