TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-04 > 1145998748

From: "Doug Gordon" <>
Subject: Re: Best find for Identifying Photographs
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:59:08 -0400

On a slightly different slant on this subject, does anyone know of a way to
identify a location based on the name of the photographer and city? I have a
couple of interesting photographs of unknown, but very like related people
that were taken in the late 1800s. As with a lot of old studio photos, the
photographer is identified at the bottom, but only with his name and city,
i.e. "H. A. Steele, Jackson".

This really has me buffaloed, as I don't know of any relations who lived in
a Jackson, and unfortunately there is a city named Jackson in probably every
state (at least southern states) in the Union! Has anyone found listings of
photo studios from that time period where I might be able to find out what
state these were taken in?

Doug Gordon

This thread: