TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-12 > 1165069653

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] UFT to TMG Conversion
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 09:27:33 -0500

Linda Kuhn wrote:
> You've already discovered those stupid "boxes" in your footnotes
> (you'll probably find them in your memos, too). I find those hard to
> live with. I've cleaned up a ton of them but still find ones I've
> missed even now. I wish there was a slick way to "Find and Replace"
> those but there doesn't seem to be one.
>
> I had a bunch of other ASCII-code characters that didn't convert
> such as the emdash, the ellipsis, fractions, the British pound sign,
> and I think all of the non-English alphabet letters (accented, etc.)
> but those can all be fixed with John Cardinal's "TMG Utility" program
> which is an absolute Must-Have for cleaning up a UFT conversion. The
> only such thing it won't fix (for what reason, I don't know) is the
> CR "boxes". At least if there's a way, I never found it. I'm *still*
> finding those tucked here and there in my file. And frankly, I'm not
> so sure that some of them weren't holdovers from when I converted
> from Roots III to UFT. Oh well. I digress.

Linda,

Find and Replace should be able to help with the weird characters. I suspect
that they aren't carriage returns; if they were, they wouldn't show up as
empty boxes. The difficult part is determining what the character is. If you
can determine the binary value for the character, then you can use the
"hexadecimal character pattern" to select it. "\xdd" (omit the quotes) will
match the character with hex code "dd".

So, for example, a capital A is decimal 65. 65 in hexadecimal is 41, so you
could search for it using "\x41" (omit the quotes).

If you can't determine what the character is, contact me off-list.

John

This thread: