TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2006-12 > 1166180942

From: "Linda Kuhn" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Source of a source of a source of a source ... HELP!
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 05:09:02 -0600

Terry Reigel wrote:
> The source element for it is [CM]. It's not included in any of
> the default source templates, but you could add it if you want.
>
> There is no standard use for the [CM] element, which since it can be
> different for each citation, can be used for most anything that you
> find useful, which you may or may not want to print in reports.

I'm so glad you brought this up!! I have a couple of as-yet-half-baked ideas
of how I want to use the CM element now that I know it *can* be printed. Of
course I'll need to first go through and add exclusion markers to the
existing entries ... <g>

> The Comments field has a different
> use, and is called by the [COMMENTS] or [MEMO] element. It is used in
> some default templates, and I've added it to most of those I use. It's
> used for notes that apply to the source as a whole, and is most often
> only included in the FF template. It's great for describing how you
> got a copy of a unique source, or even the source itself if it's
> unusual. I also use it in source that I see as online images to say
> something like "seen online on Ancestry.com."

I've never really made effective use of the [COMMENTS] element when it's not
part of the template. Mostly, I've just used it to record expanded
publishing information for books (LOC#, ISBN#, copyrights, etc.) so I see
it's time to rethink that as well.

Thanks, Terry!

This thread: