TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2007-04 > 1175985022

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Narrative Reports and Second Site
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:30:22 -0400

Lee Hoffman wrote, in part:
> For some users with large projects and sites, the SS generation of
> the site will require a few minutes of thumb-twiddling. And this is
> in addition to closing and re-opening TMG or the project. Do this
> often, and you will have spent a lot of time unnecessarily.

Lee,

I think you have valid points, Lee, but I would like to add to this last
one. SS will create a lot of narratives FAST. If you designate a subset of
people, and make a site that includes only them, SS will build the site in
seconds. For example, a 300 person site will be built in less than 30
seconds in most cases. Try creating a TMG report with 300 people, and
indexes, and it won't be ready to browse in 30 seconds. If you write the
report to MS Word and open it... well, I'll just say that opening and
closing the project in TMG in order to use SS is a small price to pay.

Clearly, if you create a one-person narrative in TMG it will be done a lot
faster than creating an SS site that includes every person in your project.
Creating a web site for thousands of people will definitely involve some
thumb twiddling, but I want TMG users to understand that:

1 - It's not useful to compare creating a small subset report in TMG to
creating a full-site in SS, except to discuss using the right tool for a
given task.

2 - If you are going to create a lot of narratives, SS is a very good
choice. It will take a little time, but you won't wear down your thumbs to
nubs! <g>

Clearly, I am biased, and people have to keep that in mind.

John

This thread: