TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2007-04 > 1176052935

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Marital Status advise sought
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:22:15 -0400

William M Roberts wrote:
>Could the "Mrs (his name) be his mother?

You misunderstand as I didn't make it clear. In fact, his mother had
died while he was young. The entry was "Mrs (his full name)". And
since he was not named for his father, that hypothesis fails. No, it
has been very much a mystery. As I mentioned, I have only run across
one other person with his name. This was a very distant slightly
younger (6th) cousin. The two families probably did not know each
other and the cousin did not marry until about three or four years later.

The only thing I can figure is that he may have planned to marry in a
very short time and something happened. I looked for engagement
announcements and anything that would point in that direction, but
never found anything. It didn't help that during the period we're
talking about, many issues of a three month span of the local paper
are missing.

There was a single reference in a letter (from a sister to a
cousin) to tragedy in his life. What that tragedy was, when it
occurred, or any details is unknown. It was apparent from the
context that the sister and her cousin both knew the
circumstances. The letter was dated in the latter part of his life -
about 15 years after the date of the Draft Registration Card.

I have tried interviewing family members about it, but no one seems
to know. The siblings are all deceased as well as many of their
children. It is something that I keep plugging away at from time to
time, but am pretty much resigned to knowing that I will not find an answer.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;