TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2007-04 > 1176757898

From: "Virginia Basken" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Poll - Census: An event or a source or both?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:12:41 -0400

In reference to people being in two places on the same census, I, too have
run across this in one or two of my families, but the strangest one is the
case where my great-grandmother lived at one address with her adult
children, three daughters and a son, in 1905 (NY State Census). According
to the Hudson, NY City Directory of 1912, she lived at the same address.
But, in 1910, (Federal census) another family with the same (unusual)
surname, but different given names, lived at that address (a woman and her
several grown children, all female.) I can only imagine that my
great-granny was hidiing under an assumed name, at that time, for whatever
reason. It's one of my genealogical mysteries.
I'm not sure how to enter this event in TMG. For now, I have entered this
census enumeration under "notes" rather than "census," although I suppose
the latter would be reasonable to do. I did change the sentence structure to
include the enumeration details.