TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2007-10 > 1191943947

From: "Jim Byram" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Name Change on Immigration
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:32:27 -0400

> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:14:17 -0400, Richard Webb wrote:
>> Well, I think I've done it now! I thought that if I
>> changed the spelling of the persons name to that of the
>> old country, I could then add a name change tag at
>> immigration and everything would read correctly in the
>> reports. Apparently the old country spelling is carried
>> through to every succeding tag and the name change tag is
>> for info only. What did I do wrong and how should I have
>> handled it?
>
> The Primary name is used by default for every tag. A non-primary name, by
> default, only prints by itself and is not used by other tags. However, you
> can choose to use any name for any event tag. See my article at
> http://tmg.reigelridge.com/name-variations.htm for details.

Just to add to what Terry said. The Name-Chg does have a clear function. It
is used to report a change in a person's name at a given point in time and
to describe those circumstances. So using it as described above is perfectly
legitimate. However, it is simply another tag in the person's history and
has no effect on the names used by subsequent tags.

Jim

This thread: