TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2007-10 > 1191960910

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Name Change on Immigration
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:15:10 -0400

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:42:49 -0400, bob gillis wrote:
> Richard Webb wrote:

>> One more related question. Is it better to have the
>> name on the details sheet be the earliest known name
>> and then use name variation tags followed by use of
>> secondary names in the subsequent tags. Or is there a
>> better strategy.
>>

> If you have fewer Tags where the old country name would
> be used, you can make the new country spelling primary
> and have custom alternate birth Tag and use the old
> country spelling in the old country events.

I don't think the number of tags is a useful way to decide. The question is, as Lee suggested, which name do you want in reports and charts that only allow one name? And which name do you want at the top of reports when this person is the subject? That's the one to make primary. You can change all the other occurrences in narratives using the alternate name feature of tags.

Terry Reigel

This thread: