TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-02 > 1203715295

From: Donald Joseph Schulteis <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] List of exhibits
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:21:35 -0800 (PST)

Fred,

The suggestion to place all ones exhibits in one, I believe, folder is a "shortcoming" of the TMG program. And, this only applies if you are going to use the TMG-Restore facility to restore/recover exhibits.

The restore function uses a single path, this is, a single folder where it will place all the exhibits it restores. So if you have, for example, a tree structure with one folder for each of your four families, as in:

c:\heritage\schulteis\
c:\heritage\siegl\
c:\heritage\ott\
c:\heritage\wolf

Now you place your Schulteis pictures in

c:\heritage\schulteis\pictures\

your siegl pictures in

c:\heritage\siegl\pictures\

and so on, if you backup your pictures using the TMG-Backup facility, TMG will acquire them from whichever folder they reside.

Should you TMG-Restore the pictures/exhibits, they will all be placed into one folder. Either the SQZ file does not contain the path to restore the picture correctly or the TMG program just doesn't do it.

In any event, using one folder to store all your exhibits is rather ridiculous from an ongoing data manageability standpoint.

As has been suggested quite often, don't use the TMG-Backup facility to backup your exhibits and you will not run into the TMG-Restore restriction. And, you do not want to backup you exhibits every time you do a backup, only after you have added/changed an exhibit.

So, design an exhibit path tree that meets your requirements. But then, don't forget to backup manage it.

Donald Schulteis