TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-03 > 1205239854

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] changing surnames
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:50:54 -0400

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:26:12 -0000, Jeffrey OrfordPerkins wrote:

> I have a family surname that has changed spelling over
> the centuries and I now have well over 6 variations
> covering more than 3000 people. I would like to change
> the Surname variations to just ONE. Is there any way this
> can be achieve in TMG or one of its utilities?

I agree with Robin and Ian - leave the names factually correct as they were actually used by the people at the time. Add a "Standard name" so you can find them easily without having to remember which spelling was used by which generation. Use the real names in reports and omit the standard names.

Terry Reigel

This thread: