TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-03 > 1205252510

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] changing surnames
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:21:50 -0400

Linda Reinfeld wrote:
> I have a question. Why would you bother with a new tag, a
> standard name tag, if you are never going to use it? Presumably
> the reason for the standard name is to sort on the project
> explorer/pick list. Why not just use the sort surname field for
> this?
>
> I have a number of Curtis, Curtiss families, and I just
> change the sort surname field.

Linda,

My objective is not to change the sort sequence. My objective is to find the
name when I am searching for it, and I use a particular process:

- Search for the name as I found it in the current document or list (however
it is spelled).

- If I don't find it there, then I search using the standardized spelling.

I do it that way because I typically have multiple candidates and using the
original spelling produces a shorter candidate list (often, only 1). Also,
sometimes the spelling variation is significant. For example, everyone in
one county spelled it one way, and everyone in the next county spelled it a
different way. I may still look under the "standard" spelling, but my
initial search relies on the spelling as given. Using a SortSurname-based
approach doesn't work for me.

John

This thread: