TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2008-03 > 1205286218

From: "Ken Boyce" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] changing surnames
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:43:38 -0700

I can attest to the Ditto saga - it was a fact and at the was one more thing
to raise doubts on the reliability of the 1901 Census

Some yrs ago I like many others was actively engaged in seeking out the many
faults,
short-comings and anomalies in the transcripts and search engine of the
notorious prime issue of the1901 Census for England & Wales This UK census
was, I believe, the first public record to be contracted out for commercial
transcription and indexing by the UK Government,

My undertaking was to locate all the Ditto persons and variations (I'm not
at liberty to say how it was done on-line at the time) - they were numerous.
At first there was no protocol or software mechanism to make corrections of
even these gross errors However enough clubs etc made such a fuss over the
generally poor outcome of the 1901 that over time money has been spent it
has been much improved

At one the 1901 site was publishing a list of corrected Ditto's among others

Regards

This thread: